243: Vivaldi CEO Interview - Jon Stephenson von Tetzchner

For ultimate security:

377a599d22b0201c9fc72c74828001afac92f12f

it’s just a touch harder to remember.

1 Like

I’ve just caught up with this podcast yesterday and found the interview with Jon fascinating. I have been (and still am) a long time Firefox user and like @MichaelTunnell, I am a fan of the multi-account container extension. However, there are occasions where I need to use a Chromium based browser and have Chromium installed on my PC (Linux Mint 20.2) for that purpose. Now that my interest has been piqued by the interview, I may give Vivaldi a go as I liked the philosophy of the company and would be happy to give my support should it work out for me.

2 Likes

Good to see all the positive feedback on Vivaldi and the interview here. I think you all did a fantastic job of letting him ‘sell’ Vivaldi, while still asking some of the harder questions, without throwing him under the bus. He also did a great job of explaining the telemetry, the closed sourced bits, etc. I do hope they find a license that let’s them keep it theirs while still letting it be open, if that’s possible. Anyways, another great episode!

2 Likes

Since IP address is part of the information included in every packet sent back to the Vivaldi mother ship, I have no reason to believe that they aren’t tracking the IP addresses. As you know, normal packet headers can reveal a lot of personal information including what times you’re active on the Internet, what ISP you’re using, whether or not you use a VPN, do you sometimes check in from work, hotel, coffee shop, etc… - and they can match up those IP addresses with other users to draw conclusions about friends and acquaintances - and they can cross reference the info with details from advertising trackers to learn more about other browsing activity.

All communications back to a software company can be harvested in ways that aren’t beneficial to the user community. That’s why I try to avoid all telemetry and automated updates.

1 Like