207: Linux New Year Resolutions, Let's Say Goodbye to 1080P

2 Likes

Haha! Good bye 1080pā€¦ I just got up to 1080p.

3 Likes

Do not miss the ā€œnuke and paveā€ curve ball thrown by Michael, an interesting question that was quickly nuked and paved. lol

https://youtu.be/YFayw1kKGek?t=1017

1 Like

Thanks everyone - fantastic and fun start to the new year - though you saved the best for last: Jillā€™s moon-rock :laughing: :+1:

Have to say, I was nodding my head through all the wish-lists as you mentioned them. Hard to choose my favourite from all of them, though I think Iā€™ll join Noah @kernellinux on Linux-based mobile phone (with encryption); also I love matrix! I know Element looks a bit messy and I donā€™t know how fiddly configuring bridges is, but wowā€¦ Youā€™re right - Iā€™d really rather not look back at all :slight_smile:

Along with mobile phone privacy, Iā€™d say cloud privacy comes a close second for me. Iā€™d love to see NextCloud developing continuing and adoption increasing!

1 Like

Yes, Iā€™m using 1080p right now, and this laptop screen of mine is far from broken. Itā€™s only 3 years old! The screen resolution of maximal suckage (especially for developing for) we should be not excited about, IMHO, is the paltry 360x640, which is the most common resolution in the world, apparently.. That was from Jan 2018-Jan 2019.

1 Like

Excellent show as usual. One note on Linux mobile is that you can already have full disk encryption by default on PostmarketOS so, one amazing step closer to a more ideal mobile OS and, it is only the first month of 2021 :slight_smile:

1 Like

@MichaelTunnell is building a bridge so @dasgeek can get over it. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Super entertaining episode and now resides as one of my new favorites! Letā€™s keep more like this going!

5 Likes

I found the reference to facial recognition in DigiKam pretty cool. I was really bothered with the facial recognition that showed up in Google Photos. It tried to get me to name all the people and add their information and how they were related to me. You bet I didnā€™t do that. However, an open source, privacy respecting version of this feature would actually be incredibly useful.
Here is a OMG Ubuntu article on the DigiKam facial recognition feature and the release notes for DigiKam 7.0 that describes it in depth.

3 Likes

I have found that by ā€˜accidentallyā€™ getting the wrong name with the wrong face (i.e. naming family members with names of celebrities, politicians, animals, or even everyday household objects) tends to freak out the google algorithms a good bit.

ā€œBring it on, Google. Letā€™s see how well Machine learning handles sarcasm and satire.ā€ :stuck_out_tongue:

(Iā€™m guessing Iā€™m not the only one playing this googlegame, judging from the seemingly unrelated images that appear in google search results.)

4 Likes

I bet somewhere Google engineers are working on a humor API that people can use so their bots know how to rank their jokes.

2 Likes